Hi!
Robert, for low power radio please see https://www.mysensors.org/ -
framework based on arduino/raspberry pi and cheap radio NRF24L01 or RFM69.
I'm using it for more than 2 years now and it's very reliable (NFR24L01 +
MQTT gateway). On web site you will  find a lot of ready to use examples
with different sensors.
Yesterday I give it a try and connected mysensors to weewx via MQTT and
Node Red. Working so far!

Regards,
Robert