David White wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 12:01 +0100, David Philippi wrote:
>
>> Am Montag 24 Dezember 2007 schrieb Jens Seidel:
>>
>>> Isn't Mesa a software implementation of OpenGL and everywhere available?
>>> It would be not accellerated by hardware but isn't this how it currently
>>> works?
>>>
>> Sure, if you want about 3 FPS... Mesa helps you if some feature isn't
>> supported by your card but OpenGL fully in software doesn't work well at all.
>>

> If people want to see for themselves what Wesnoth using OpenGL is like,
> you're welcome to just get the branch I started working on about a year
> ago from SVN. I made it playable -- just with a lot of polishing needed
> -- but then gave up on it after I realized how many devices this would
> make Wesnoth unplayable on.
>
> The branch is called wesnoth-gl. You can browse the sources here:
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/branches/wesnoth-gl/
>
> David

How about making opengl optional so we have some interface for drawing
and 2 implementations - One with current SDL and one with GL. Then just
initialize openGL if it is present.

This could be done using subsystem manager that gives game code access
to subsystem object. I don't know how easy this could be implement so
that it is completely transparent outside subsystem implementation. But
I think this kind of desing would give possibility to support wider
range of systems. We could make subsystems that use more resources on
faster computers.

Pauli