Hello,

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, David White wrote:
>On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 12:14 +0200, Pauli wrote:
[..]
>> How about making opengl optional so we have some interface for drawing
>> and 2 implementations - One with current SDL and one with GL. Then just
>> initialize openGL if it is present.
>
>It would be painful to maintain the game working with both SDL and
>OpenGL. Additionally, one of the primary benefits of moving to OpenGL
>would be to allow different and new graphical effects that cannot be
>efficiently implemented using SDL, but if we had to make the game work
>with SDL anyhow, this would be infeasible, or at the least would require
>double-implementing such features in both SDL and OpenGL.

How about
http://www.libsdl.org/opengl/index.php
http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/viewvc.cgi/branches/SDL-1.2/docs/html/guidevideoopengl.html?revision=2608

But I think Wesnoth (Graphics) is fast enough now.  On my older box[1]
wesnoth-1.2 runs just fine, 1.3.3 is slower but definitely playable.
Where Wesnoth is/feels "slow" is when loading savegames, which is why
I mostly play on my much faster new box ;)

-dnh

[1] with Athlon 500, 320 MB RAM, Matrox Mystique...

PS: 1.3.3 compiles and runs fine with SDL 1.2.4, it just needs a
    -DSDL_Colour=SDL_Color

--
The more stupid the rules, the more fun one can have by following them
_exactly_ to the letter.                        -- Alexander Schreiber