"James C. McMaster (Jim)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thomas Reinke said:
>> Is anyone else not finding the noise ratio (i.e. spam) a bit high
>> here? I sympathize with the effort required to lightly moderate,
>> but might I recommend that _something_ be done to rid us all of
>> this spam? It's getting to be irritating enough that I'm tempted to
>> drop off the list, which I'd just as soon not do - wget is a
>> fantastic little tool that I'd just as soon stay involved with
>> actively, if possible.
>>
> The easiest solution would be for the list owners to require people
> to subscribe before posting.  So far, they seem unwilling to do
> that.  All the product-support lists to which I subscribe (except
> this one) have that policy, and I never get spam from any of them.

I do not know what you call a "product support mailing list", but this
is a free software project development list, and certainly not the
only one with the open posting policy.  For example, XEmacs mailing
lists are open to non-subscriber posting.

But that was just an example.  The actual reasoning for allowing
non-subscriber posting boils down to three reasons:

1. I believe it is the right thing to do.  I personally hate allegedly
   "supportive" mailing lists that require me to subscribe before
   asking a question.  I don't want to subscribe, dammit, I just want
   to ask something.

2. It allows the discussion to extend to non-subscribers.  You can
   simply Cc a person to a discussion pertinent to him, and he will be
   able to respond to the list.

3. It allows the mails from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to be rerouted to this
   list.

I am aware that in this matter, as well as in the infamous `Reply-To'
debate, this list lies in the minority.  But that is not a sufficient
reason to back down and let the spammers win.

If you have a spam-fighting suggestion that does *not* include
disallowing non-subscriber postings, I am more than willing to listen.