"James C. McMaster (Jim)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hrvoje Niksic said:
>> Andre Majorel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> > Right now, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is providing free relaying for spammers
>> > to all its subscribers.
>>
>> So does any mailing list with open subscription.
>
> Any spammer *could* subscribe to an open-subscription list

Oops, I meant with open posting.  Sorry for the lapsus.

>> > Mmm... What would you think of having the list software
>> > automatically add a special header (say X-Non-Subscriber) to
>> > every mail sent by a non-subscriber ?
>>
>> I see where you're getting at, and I would have absolutely no
>> objections to that.
>>
> This would give us something on which we could filter.

Yes.  Again, I have no problem with providing choice for you.  I just
want the list to be functional (in that sense of the word) by default.

> It also would prevent legitimate non-subscribers' messages being
> seen by some people.

Yes -- but it's their choice, then.  Every spam-blocking system will
block a number of legitimate emails.  It's just the question of where
you draw the line between how much spam you tolerate and how many
legitimate mails blocked you tolerate.  And if you're the one who is
drawing that line for yourself, you're far less likely to be
dissatisfied with the results.