Ah if it's just semantics that's fine, as long as someone is actually
researching that part of it. :-) In my area (which is actually games
research), 'gamification' usually means something more specific,
although the definition keeps shifting admittedly. But more often the
trend of adopting explicitly 'game-mechanic' type elements such as
points, level progression, competition, etc. into non-game tasks, which
are seen as having a motivational quality (with somewhat mixed research
results, obscured by a whole mass of charalatan gamification consultants
pushing it). What you describe I'd associate more with concepts like
'microtasks', 'dashboards', and generally UX, which can be pared with
gamification but are a separate cluster of ideas.

Best,
Mark

Andre Engels <andreeng...@gmail.com> writes:

> That really depends on how you define 'gamification'. To me, the
> gamification is not the leaderboards, but exactly the elements you
> mention - the splitting of the whole into simple microtasks plus
> giving out those microtasks to users for a large part at random. In
> fact, I usually play the 'distributed' version of the wikidata game,
> and as far as I know there is no scoring or leaderboard there at all,
> but I would still say the whole is gamified.
>
> Andre Engels
>

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Mark J. Nelson <m...@anadrome.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dario Taraborelli <dtarabore...@wikimedia.org> writes:
>>
>>> *Gamified interfaces for microcontributions à la Wikidata game*.
>>> (per GerardM) there's absolutely no doubt this model is effective at
>>> creating a large volume of high-quality edits, and value to the project and
>>> communities.
>>
>> I agree on these interfaces, but at least in my use of them, and that of
>> the other people I know who use them, the 'gamification' part is a red
>> herring and not why we use them: the important part is the interface and
>> its functionality. The confusing point/leaderboard system (which I never
>> check) isn't really a draw, but the tools are actually useful to do
>> things that are tedious otherwise, and at least somewhat enjoyable to
>> use. It's useful that it tries to find e.g. new articles that might
>> match an existing Wikidata topic but are unlinked, and presents
>> side-by-side information that helps quickly eliminate some false
>> positives, with a fast interface where you just press '1', '2', or '3'
>> on the keyboard to move on.
>>
>> So a different way of looking at this category is: interfaces to make
>> microcontributions non-tedious, and easy to curate in a
>> "dashboard-style" way. Those interfaces might or might not have some
>> gamification layer too, but I don't think that's the important part.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mark
>>
>> --
>> Mark J. Nelson