Hi Jim,

That's a good point --- and certainly not off topic :-). With evolving
web technologies we have far greater opportunities for manipulating
output formats -- not too mention the convergence of technology and
pedagogy.

The untapped potential of the template approach is quite exciting!
Specifying "instructional devices" (iDevices) as templates means that we
can specify alternate behaviours for different outputs. For example:

1)  Educators who don't want to include iDevices in a printed text,
could excise these from the output -- as you have pointed out.
2) We can create alternate behaviours for online interactions and
print-based texts. For example, in the case of a multiple choice item,
we could provide online feedback for correct / incorrect answers (eg
javascript hide/show). For the printed versions, we could specify that
the instructor feedback on MCQ's should be printed at the end of the
chapter.
3) As I mentioned in an earlier post -- with regards to rich media we
could automate the generation of a CDROM image to accompany the printed
text.

I'm sure there are many alternatives we'll discover as we move forward.