Dabbling only in this discussion: at this stage.

I know I stumbled upon this site at some stage:
Connexions: http://cnx.org/

I quote:
Connexions is:

a place to view and share educational material made of small knowledge
chunks called modules that can be organized as courses, books, reports, *etc
*. Anyone may view or contribute:

   - *authors* create and collaborate
   - *instructors* rapidly build and share custom collections
   - *learners* find and explore content

And: from the founder,
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/richard_baraniuk_on_open_source_learning.html

I quote:
About this talk

Rice University professor Richard Baraniuk explains the vision behind
Connexions, his open-source, online education system. It cuts out the
textbook, allowing teachers to share and modify course materials freely,
anywhere in the world.

- Derek