I apologize for that formatting mess. Emails that look beautiful in my Hotmail
editing window get mangled when I send them to lists, and this seems to happen
on a regular basis. I'll try sending this again.

--

Hi Kevin,

My comment here expresses my personal opinion only.

I understand how bringing this issue to Wikimedia-l could seem appropriate
because Commons is a project that has an unusual degree of cross-wiki influence
and activity. While it's ok to notify Wikimedia-l that this issue is being
discussed, the main body of the discussion should stay on-wiki on Commons [1].
Per the essay about wikidrama on English Wikipedia [2] and the "Principle of
Least Drama", it is best not to make "the same point in multiple places", as
split discussions are often more difficult to follow and spread the drama to
more places. Also, when placing notices of discussions from other wikis to this
list, I think it is best to follow the detailed guidelines for Requests for
Comment from English Wikipedia [3] which ask users to write "a brief, neutral
statement of the issue". In general, cross-wiki and cross-list *advocacy* (not
mere notification) from anywhere else to this mailing list could be considered
canvassing [4]. I think you were well-intentioned in posting a notice to this
list but I would ask you to do it a bit differently in the future.

Thank you for raising the issue for discussion. I think you have good points,
and you should make them on Commons, where it appears that other Commons
contributors agree with you that this situation could have been handled
differently [1].

Pine

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Main_Page#Dead_bodies.3F
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Drama