On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Lih <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 4:26 AM, ENWP Pine <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I agree that posting a notification to this list was appropriate, but not
> > with forking or moving the discussion to here.
>

> I wish there was actually a discussion to fork. Both The_ed17 and I raised
> it on the Main_page Talk and the Commons administrator's noticeboard, where
> things of urgency are normally monitored. Silence. Crickets.
>
> If it comes to a choice of keeping images of emaciated concentration camp
> corpses on the front page of a high profile Wikimedia project and raising
> this issue on Wikimedia-L, I choose the latter.
>
> -Andrew

Indeed. No need to beat around the bush here - the purpose of e-mailing
this list was explicitly to canvass for more opinions, more participants.
The policy on en.wp is of mixed usefulness, imho, and often abused to
restrict the availability of useful input and illumination. It doesn't
apply to this list or to Commons or Meta.

On the actual topic - what's the base process for selecting a still from a
featured video? Is it automatic once the video is selected? Does the user
have to specify a particular frame?

~Nathan