On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 25 October 2014 15:09, Kim Bruning <k...@bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

[...]

> https://medium.com/@MrJamesFisher/wikipedia-needs-an-ide-not-a-wysiwyg-editor-7acd85b582c8
>
> Quite apart from other issues, the author falls at the first hurdle;
> he fails to say what an IDE is.

... so, what is it??   /me searches....  ah,
Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment
Annotated image:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/267990999/Integrated_Development_Environment_IDE_software_for_embedded.jpg

We already have many of these components (requested in the medium post, or
in the image), as needed for editing an article:
* Syntax highlighter
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Remember_the_dot/Syntax_highlighter>
(gadget)
* Ajax preview (A few options. I've used user:js/ajaxPreview
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Js/ajaxPreview> for many years and love
it and strongly recommend it)
* Split preview (side-by-side)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:User_scripts#Previewing> (although
that doesn't have simultaneous scrolling, which would be fancy/nice. Also
the width-drag doesn't seem to work. It probably just needs an update after
6 years..)
* integrating the diff viewer with the syntax highlighted source text,
sounds incredibly confusing, so let's not do that. Besides, we have ajax
Show Changes.
* We have a Section-edit link, for jumping to the right section
* We have a Template/Page transclusion list, under the edit-source textarea

We don't have HTML preview, which might be interesting. Surely it's
possible to whip up a userscript for it, if anyone would actually find it
massively useful. (Or, we can just leave the browser's own Web Developer
bar open to see the HTML. ctrl-f is our friend.)

It would be nice to get some of those userscripts turned into
(global)Gadgets and/or Extensions, but they're all usable.
The only thing they (and all our fancy optional extras) really need, is
better visibility. There are a number of ideas to do that, at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Redesign_user_preferences
and (especially the bottom of) it's talkpage. More ideas appreciated.