I haven't had that experience with lightweight markup around here. The humanities, journalism, and creative-writing academics are the ones who seem to be the most enthusiastic adopters of Markdown in particular. It's taking off quite a bit as part of a simplify/concentrate movement, where people find WYSIWYG editors like Word too distracting, so have moved to using Markdown as a minimalist editing environment to concentrate on writing, at least for drafts. It also helps that it's easy to e-mail around. People Who Code are actually mostly absent from that trend— I don't think I've ever met a computer scientist who writes papers in Markdown.

Wikitext, of course, especially as typically used in Wikipedia, does not look as nice and minimalist as an article draft in Markdown does. Which is where I think the majority of the problem lies, not in the concept of markup itself.

-Mark