Hi all,

This type of fundraising is -- by its very nature -- obtrusive. We are
thinking about other options. But, as with anything, "every action has
equal and opposite reaction". Anything we do, we have to consider the
consequences and we will find flaws.

Now for the specifics:

Yes -- the fundraising team works incredibly hard to optimize and adjust to
changes in our environment and to minimize obtrusiveness (there are
multiple ways to measure this: total impressions, % conversions, size,
parallelizing campaigns, etc.). It is a complex multi-variable equation.
Fundraising uses A/B tests to do much of the optimization, but they also
use surveys, user tests, and sentiment analysis. Some of what you see is
counter-intuitive (even to me, and I have experience with this), but they
work. All of this year's tests showed minimal brand impact even from the
overlay screen. That said, going forward we are considering an unbiased 3rd
party to do some of this analysis.

No -- we are not perfect we are constantly working at improving. There are
a million opinions on how this should be done, and then there is research
and live data. This year we made only minimal changes to the text of the
banner. Next year we are going to play with different messaging, and the
team will welcome you suggestions.

Finally thank you for supporting the team. They are literally locked-up in
a room and working around the clock!
Lila