Denny,

Your message is detrimental to someone I consider a friend, a trusted
colleague, and an asset to the Wikimedia movement. While I concede there
may be relevant information I don't know, I see two good reasons to view
with great skepticism your assertion that you were "unconvinced that
[something] would be held in confidence" by Doc James. I do not fault you
for your beliefs, but based on the information I have, it seems that the
actions you took based on those beliefs were ill-advised, and harmful to
WMF, to the Wikimedia movement, and to my friend and colleague.

My first point is based on my personal experience: I have known Doc James
for a number of years; we have had multiple discussions, some of which have
involved significant disagreements, and have involved information I might
consider best kept confidential. I have never doubted his integrity in
respecting my wishes, or in keeping a promise. I have never had reason to
regret my confidence in him.

The second point is based on evidence that has come forward in recent days.
The English Wikipedia Signpost just published data from a recent staff
survey that shows extraordinarily low confidence in senior WMF
leadership;[1] and the WMF and Knight Foundations just published
information about a restricted grant, which apparently signals a shift in
strategy taking place behind closed doors.[2]

As a Trustee, Doc James would surely have been aware of both issues, weeks
or months ago. Various recent discussions suggest that he believed that
both issues should be brought to the attention of the Wikimedia community.
And yet, HE DID NOT PUBLISH THEM.

I believe he would have been well within his rights as a Trustee to do
publish them; I believe he would not have broken the law, the bylaws, the
directives in the Board Handbook, or the commitment to support the
organization by doing so. His appointment as a (note the word itself)
"Trustee" represents a rather explicit trust in him (from both the
community and the Board members who unanimously approved him) to make
judgments on subjects like that. The fact that he declined to speak
publicly about them demonstrates, I believe, the level of importance he
placed in the wishes of his fellow Trustees. It is difficult for me to
imagine any other reason he would decline to act based on his conscience.

Note, the Signpost talks about its sources in its story. The grant, of
course, was announced through official channels.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-01-06/News_and_notes