Tim Starling wrote:
>I would never have merged it, because it had a -1 from Steven Walling,
>apparently speaking on behalf of others on design-l. I think changes
>should be made by consensus.

The change also had five +1s, as noted in this thread. I find it
interesting that, to you, consensus now includes a liberum veto. I'm fine
with a temporary revert if the change was causing an issue in production,
but the overall goal and execution seems fine to me.

As Jon notes at <https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/61416>, there may be ways
to optimize the overall behavior here in the future (e.g., by implementing
a user.user_display_name field or re-using user.user_real_name). But for
now, I don't see any substantive issue with this change or with merging it
in core. Silently changing a user's preferred username is a valid bug:
"Mzmcbride' plainly looks stupid and the silent and unexpected change to a
user's input is an unfair trick on the user, especially given what a
nightmare it is to rename a user account.

MZMcBride