I'm not sure how much impact it would have on existing link specifications
to make the change, but I think MGChecker has a good solution. The
"[[target|linktext]]extra" format allows you to specify exactly what part
of the text should have a link, while "[[target]]extra" would be understood
as a shortcut to "[[target|targetextra]]". This solves the linktrails
problem without introducing any extra tags or using nowiki in weird ways.

Looking at some examples in this thread:

   - [[Schnee]]<nowiki />reichtum would be [[Schnee|Schnee]]reichtum
   - [[Gesetz]]e and [[Finger]]s are fine
   - [[Heimat]]losigkeit is fine
   - [[absorpsjon]]s[[Spektrallinje|linjene]] might work as intended, but
   if the middle "s" isn't supposed to be linked then [[Absorpsjon|
   absorpsjon]]s[[Spektrallinje|linjene]] would do the trick
   - ma[[Øssur Havgrímsson|ge]]<nowiki/>e[[Øssur Havgrímsson|evner og]] is
   still something of a mystery, but ma[[Øssur Havgrímsson|ge]]e[[Øssur
   Havgrímsson|evner og]] would probably do what is intended
   - [[Alexander Kielland]]<nowiki/>s would be [[Alexander Kielland|Alexander
   Kielland]]s
   - [[De forente nasjoner|FN]]s would be fine

This isn't really about <nowiki> anymore—sorry Amir!—but I think it could
solve the linktrails syntax issue. The problem, as I alluded to earlier, is
what changing the syntax would do to existing links. Though it would be
possible to automatically convert existing "[[target|linktext]]extra" to "
[[target|linktextextra]]" if target and linktext are different, or "
[[target]]extra" if target and linktext are the same (possibly modulo
whatever minor differences are allowed, like upper/lowercase—though there
are rare instances of articles that differ only by upper/lowercase).

Are their any other linktrails setting other than off and on? We'd want to
make sure any changes didn't do weird things to Chinese or other spaceless
languages.

—Trey

Trey Jones
Sr. Software Engineer, Search Platform