On 2018-10-15 16:34, Trey Jones wrote:
I'm not sure how much impact it would have on existing link specifications
to make the change, but I think MGChecker has a good solution. The
"[[target|linktext]]extra" format allows you to specify exactly what part
of the text should have a link, while "[[target]]extra" would be understood
as a shortcut to "[[target|targetextra]]". This solves the linktrails
problem without introducing any extra tags or using nowiki in weird ways.

Sounds like a cute small syntax improvement! :)

Are their any other linktrails setting other than off and on? We'd want to
make sure any changes didn't do weird things to Chinese or other spaceless
languages.

There are two things to consider:

* Linktrails are language-specific. For example, in English, only ASCII a-z are handled in linktrails, while Polish also allows accented letters ęóąśłżźćńĘÓĄŚŁŻŹĆŃ. Chinese actually effectively disables linktrails (disallows everything). This is defined using $linkTrail variables in files like MessagesEn.php etc.

* There is also something called "linkprefix", used by e.g. Arabic (MessagesAr.php uses $linkPrefixExtension = true). I am not sure how this feature works, but it probably complicates everything a bit.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński