We at Georgia Tech use Airwave Management Platform with our network of
roughly 850 access points.  We have a mix of Cisco, Proxim, and even a
Vivato thrown in.  AMP monitors them all.  It has been such an
improvement to have a consistent user interface to manage all the APs
from the different vendors.

We've got our captive portal configured to send radius accounting packets
to AMP.  This provides the mapping between client MAC address and user
login name.  When a user calls the helpdesk with a wireless complaint,
we can look him up by login name and pretty quickly see what his
client MAC address is, which AP he's associated with, etc.

As one user commented, some functions are not well supported with the
Proxim APs.  In the case that mattered to us, Airwave told us that
they can only present the data that Proxim provides and the Proxim APs
were providing inaccurate data.  The particular case was a Proxim AP1000
with dual 802.11b radios that was showing some crazy numbers (in the
hundreds) of users associated simultaneously.  This was skewing all
the nightly reports of utilized APs, etc.  I finally gave in and
replaced the AP1000 with an AP2000.

I really like the Airwave product.  They're responsive to feature
requests and their support folks are great.  We've even written a few
simple scrips to extract data from the Airwave data store.  Very
handy.

--
Earl Barfield  --  Academic & Research Technologies / Information Technology
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    [EMAIL PROTECTED]