I wanted to thank everyone who provided valuable input, both publicly and
privately, regarding Network Computing's planned feature article on wireless
analysis tools.

To be honest, I was a little surprised that AMP was the most oft-mentioned
tool, but I think I understand why. While it's great to have a bunch of
point tools to help you manage your WLAN, it's even nicer to have a flexible
centralized management console that provides timely and actionable
information. Too bad the wireless system vendors themselves don't do a
better job of meeting that need.

Having said that, I think a review of AMP is somewhat beyond the scope of
this specific article but I am planning to do some kind of formal
evaluation, perhaps in conjunction with Wavelink and other AP-agnostic
management systems.

For this feature, we are trying to get a grip on more portable tools that go
beyond the configuration and performance management capabilities of AMP,
including spectrum analyzers, 802.11 scanners, protocol analyzers, etc.

dm