We use Ruckus PTP on occasion and have found the deployment simple and reliable. Our distances were approx. 900 meters and bandwidth was at 100+ throughput. The antennas use 5GHz. and are normally sold in pairs.

The reliability and tenacity to hold a signal was illustrated when a receiving antenna was blown off the roof while still connected (a temp. setup for a couple of weeks) to it's ethernet cable. We didn't realize anything was amiss until Facilities called to inform us of the incident. The antenna was facing away from it's partner and was still getting a strong signal. The distance on this incident was about 800 yards and the building did not realize the issue since they were getting the network at normal speeds.

Here's the specs from Ruckus:

Wire-like, long range throughput

  • Integration, dual-polarized directional smart antenna
  • 802.11n, operating in the 5GHz band
  • Up to 190 Mbps at 1.5 km/1 mi
  • Up to 165 Mbps at 3 km/2 mi
  • Up to 100 Mbps at 5 km/3 mi
  • Up to 50 Mbps at 10 km/6 mi
  • 15km maximum range

Easy installation and pairing

  • No external antennas
  • Lightweight design (877 grams / 1.93 lbs.)
  • Flexible mounting options
  • Finds peer automatically

Secure and scalable

  • AES-based, the wireless bridge link is secure and can scale to support multiple networks segmented by VLANs

Robust operation

  • IP-65 rated
  • Operates in conditions from -40°C – 65° C (-40°F – 149°F)
  • 802.3af power over Ethernet support
  • Internal 14dBi directional antenna

Ultra simple positioning and aiming

  • Liberal 30-degree, 3dB beam width antenna
  • Sophisticated LED-based aiming software

Harry Rauch Sr. Network Analyst Eckerd College 4200 - 54th Ave S St. Petersburg, FL 33711