I am not sure that a position paper is required, but I will offer a few opinions based on some of what I have seen this post generate in responses.

Though I am not currently 100% compliant with the FCC rules nor a member, I wish I were both. Even after 1 full year of research into what I would need to do to start a WISP, I did not realize that all the equipment must be certified. To be honest, to some degree I figured if were sold in the USA, it was OK to use it. I do follow the maximum signal levels, stay on the right channels, etc. To the best of my knowledge the only thing I am in violation of is the certified equipment requirement.

Even with my current situation, I would not support an organization that did anything other than "require" members to be operating legally. So, at this time it is a good thing I am not a member of WISPA, because when I join, I want to comply with all of the bylaws, etc. So I am 100% behind Ralph wanting to be assured that WISPA is all about being legal.

I also agree with Ralph's opening comment about getting more latitude in equipment matching. This is what I would expect a professional organization to do; encourage all members to follow the rules AND work with the governing bodies to change those rules that are a hindrance to the growth of individual WISPs and to the industry as a whole.

I think John Scrivner found the answer in the 2 sections of the by-laws he quoted. WISPA is about the business of promote the growth of all players in the industry. My take on the direction the WISPA board generally takes is just what I stated above: an effort to help those of us that are not yet fully legal get there, both by educating us to the laws and rules and how to abide them as well as working to change those rules that can be changed in our favor without negatively impacting other industries that use the same airwaves.

As for the original post creating division, I do not see it that way. Maybe I would if all I cared about was making $$ regardless of what the rules are. It seems to me that the only way this would cause me to feel cut-off from WISPA is if I were operating illegally and wanted to be able to continue to do so without someone calling me to move in the right direction. With Ralph's post, I actually feel more drawn to WISPA, because here is a group that is all about helping me to be successful within the constraints of the laws and rules of the land.

So, to the WISPA Board, please keep up the good work and continue to show us how to operate our WISPs legally and successfully.

Ralph wrote:
I appreciate what several WISPA folks are doing to try to get more latitude
in equipment/antenna matching, and as a full "Principal" WISPA member, I
would like to ask the WISPA board to publish a position paper on legal
operation and guidelines for WISPs to use in order to meet the current
rules. It needs to be done now.

Actually showing we are paying more than lip service to the current
regulations  and officially Supporting legal operation may go a long way
towards building better credibility with the FCC AS well as with the rest of
the wireless industry.
Is WISPA up to the challege of setting the precedent.

Ralph
Brightlan.net
North Georgia Broadband Without The Wires"

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **

Scott Reed