Zack,
WISPA is a trade organization...if you care what it says, then join.  It is
not a business (I'll shop there if you offer better customer service), it is
not a gym member (I'll join if you get this piece of equipment), it is a
trade organization.  It is member run, as all trade organizations are.  In
other words, to influence it, you have to be 1. a member or 2. a LARGE
external entity that is in a position to influence such things (ie the
government).

I'll also say, from experience with these sorts of organizations the money
is irrelevant.  If you are a WISP, then you should be on WISPA.  Period. In
general, you should join every and all available legitimate trade  and
business organizations--it is the cheapest way to give your company a degree
of legitimacy as a startup.  The question isn't a matter of money (if you
have been in business longer than 6 months, definitely a year, and can't
find the couple of hundred for this, then you REALLY should examine your
business model)  It is a matter of time...trade organizations are member run
and are not necessarily democratic in a traditional sense (one member, one
vote).  They are usually democratic in a merit-based sense...whoever is
willing to put forth the time and effort and steer stuff in the appropriate
direction, however, heckling from the peanut gallery (or, in your case, from
outside the stadium) is often ignored.  If you want WISPA to publish a
position, join, DO WORK (not talk), and you'd be surprised at what you get.
This is how trade organizations run...and, regardless of what your business
is, they all run the same.  The people who drive the bus determine where it
goes...

BTW, I did not name the discussion a "12 year old level" because of the
content in it, but because of the lack thereof.  I called it that because it
quickly degenerated from a discussion that, while misguided in my mind,
originated as a call for "an official WISPA policy of FCC certification"
into a stupid chest-thumping exercise revolving around pointing fingers at
who is compliant and who is not...as continues to come up again and again
and again.  I don't recall that you were necessarily involved in that, so no
need to feel extra insulted this morning.

It is not smart to discuss matters of legal compliance on a public forum.
Period.  You do not air your industry's dirty laundry in public...  it is
unprofessional and is pretty much a no-no in any industry except,
apparently, among certain members of the independent WISP community.  Can
you imagine presidents/CEOs of manufacturing companies airing on a public
listserv who was not following EPA regulations?  Care to also publish lists
of who took questionable deductions on their IRS filings?  Where does this
stop????

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies

On 9/3/07, Zack Kneisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> statement  "look at our code of ethics" does not accomplish that Ralph
> requested.
>
> Is there no structure in WISPA? Is there no means to petition an
> organization that supposedly "represents all wisps" to entertain the mans
> request? Is there no sturcture in WISPA that is aimed towards ratifying or
> creating a documents.
>
> I think what it comes down to is a few simple questions.
>
> Does a member of WISPA have the right to request such a public stance?
> Does WISPA have a means of debation these requests?
> Is there even a process in place that could lead to a document such as
> Ralph
> requested?
>
> If WISPA is not open to have a democratic way to represent the individual
> wisps, then this whole debate has no merit. If an individual that comes to
> the table with an idea, getys shutout by one person.... What type of
> organization is WISPA.
>
> I've thought of joining WISPA on several occasions, but I have yet to see
> it
> as an organization for WISPS, after all, given this thread, it doesn't
> seem
> that there is not any self governing process to ask for anything. Unless
> I'm
> seriously missing something, there are no processes in place that allow a
> member or non member to bring a topic to the table, and for it to be
> considered as an action that WISPA should take. To myself, WISPA looks
> like
> an organization controlled by a handful of individuals, not by the WISPS
> it
> is supposed to, in its own Code of Ethecs Attempt to represent.
>
> WISPA's Goals see:http://www.wispa.org/?page_id=6
>
> 6. Political lobbying group – Unified voice for the WISP industry
>
> How can this be acheived when the discussion turns to name calling and
> comparing the thoughts of others to 12 year olds.

> WISPA, at least make an official statement to Ralph. Either, stating that
> WISPA, (not John), believes that WISPA' ethics statement achieves the same
> goals as Ralphs request, or, that WISPA is just plain rejecting the idea -
> with an explanation why..

> Now, can you understand why their are people that would passionately get
> behind WISPA, if only an adult discussion, debate, and decision be made.
> Where is the leadership that makes these calls.. who makes these
> decisions?
>
> I'm sorry for obvious grammatical mistakes and typos, 4:00 AM comes fast.
>
> Zack

> ** Join us at the WISPA Reception at 6:30 PM on October the 16th 2007 at
> ISPCON **
> ** ISPCON Fall 2007 - October 16-18 - San Jose, CA   www.ispcon.com **
> ** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
> ** FREE Exhibits and Events Pass available until August 31 **
> ** Use Customer Code WSEMF7 when you register online at

**