I put myself in as being Tranzeo based, as that is the heavy majority of
my CPE radios, although I have a fair amount of Ubiquiti, Telex,
HighGain and a smattering of Mikrotik CPE as well.   Chuck started the
survey, and as a Canopy user he is more used to the idea of everything
coming from the same vendor.   With StarOS and Mikrotik, you can use one
thing for your APs and backhauls, and another brand or multiple
different brands for your CPE radios.

All of my APs and backhauls are on StarOS.    I find that there are a
lot of StarOS operators out there, but you don't hear from them because
they tend to gather on the StarOS forums and don't get involved in list
politics.   Unfortunately, many of the discussions on this and other
lists ends up focusing on Mikrotik and Canopy because there are more
vendors pushing them, and users "evangelizing" them.

I have plenty of experience with StarOS, Mikrotik and Tranzeo - and I
have deployed Trango and Canopy as well.   For the majority of the
wireless applications I have been involved in, it was the most
ubiquitous and best value of the platforms I have used.

It is not a "brain-dead" deployment - if you want to run a bridged
network, StarOS is definitely not for you.   There is a little bit of a
learning curve, and almost no available training resources for it beyond
the StarOS forums.    There are few vendors that sell it - FreeSpace and
Streakwave are about the only two major ones that do much with Star.
The developers are not exactly accessible and will become openly hostile
if your choice of network topology doesn't fit their recommended way of
doing things.   These are all factors that limit the overall adoption of
StarOS.

However, at the core of StarOS is a set of world-class wireless
drivers.   StarOS was the first platform to have 20/10/5mhz channels
with the Atheros chipsets.   Their distance settings were a first, going
back to their Orinoco drivers, and enabling WISPs to pick up customers
beyond the 12mile wifi limit.   I have many customers in the 15-25 mile
range running on StarOS APs.   I actually have one sub at 33 miles that
runs 15-20gig of traffic a month - no complaints.   With good bandwidth
management profiles, you can get a lot of people on an AP.   I have had
802.11b APs with 85-90 subs on them, and 802.11a APs with 100+.   It is
doable, and I have done it.

StarOS is also great for backhauls, both half and full-duplex.  I have a
pair of WAR boards running in turbo mode that have been in the air for
2.5 years, and run 15-35 meg constantly.   Haven't so much as changed
the channel in that 2 year period.  I have FDD links on $400 X4000
radios that will do 50meg throughput (10/40, 25/25, 40/10, whatever)
over 20+ miles.   I've watched StarOS backhauls kill Canopy backhauls on
the same channels, and the signal squelch features allow backhauls to
work in places where other stuff flat out will not work.   I have 550+
miles of StarOS backhaul up, including a 65 mile shot and several more
35+ mile shots, and several of my consulting clients have just as many
miles in the air.  One pulled out all of their $5000-$9000 Motorola
backhauls and replaced them with $900 StarOS FDD BH and saw huge
improvements in performance.   I've even mixed Star and Mikrotik
backhauls with decent results.

StarOS has also been a great platform to work with when it comes to
building an integrated wireless platform.   Radius auth of MAC addresses
has been there from the start, and doesn't require any special servers
beyond a radius server.   Loading DHCP scripts, cbq rules and firewall
settings is easily automated with shell scripts (much easier than
Mikrotik).  OSPF works great and does exactly what it is supposed to.
SNMP is comprehensive and it's easy to track signal strength, link
quality, # of associations, interface traffic and cpu load with commonly
available tools.  The "F1" associations list is by far the best
troubleshooting tool I have used on any platform.  There is good stuff
in there.

Best of all is not being beholden to any specific vendor for CPE
radios.   Over the years I've used radios from Tranzeo, Teletronics,
Orinoco, SmartBridges, Senao, Linksys, D-link, Ubiquiti, Telex,
HighGain, Mikrotik, eZY.net, Cisco, Ampwave and probably a few other
brands that I don't recall.  All different kinds of chipsets work with
it, and without the dropped association issues that Mikrotik and other
APs have had.   One many of my 2.4ghz APs, there is a wide variety of
chipsets in the CPE radios - zcom, prism, atheros, orinoco - and they
all work fine with the AP.  That there is flexibility.

I'll get off the soapbox now, but I think you get the point.   StarOS is
a great platform, even if it doesn't get the attention of some of the
other ones out there.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com