From: "Tom DeReggi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:08:45
To: WISPA General List<wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Where is StarOS?

Let me explain....

MT enables everything to be done through an easy graphical interface. In
other words no need to remember syntax.
In StarOS, to configure advanced features, from the menu you open up a
script page, and then manually writing text commands.
StarOS has little documetnations, MT has very complete documentation.
>From that perspective MT is easy, and StarOS is hard.

However, there is another angle. What if you don't really want to use all
those custom advanced features?
MT's interface is really somewhat overwelming. There is too much there,
designed for the super tech.
StarOS on the other hand, has a Mouse clickable menu (NOt a windows GUI,
more like a DOS version of a window) that is well organized, and easy to
spot and access the feature that you want to configure. The core feature
that you want to configure (such as wireless settings) are all complete with
easy checkboxes.
With StarOS I spend lesss time hunting for the menu item I want to use.
For example, when StarOS starts, by default on the main screen you see your
wireless connections and the RSSI and Noise for each. You don;t have to
click anything to get to that place, its just right there. Then if you press
F1, (a single key) you now have a view of all your subscribers and their
RSSIs and link Qualities. So basically in seconds, you are viewing
menaingful information on your active connections.  When you go to configure
wireless, all the core features you will change are all on one screen, in
one place.
And because it is SSH accessed, it can be done from anywhere anytime, and it
is lightnig fast to navigate the menu..
>From that perspective StarOS is the more easy.

MT is very feature rich, if not the most feature rich. With options, comes
choice. And where there is choice there is greater complexity, and greater
chance of error.
When we first started using MT, techs always had to go look at another MT
router already configured to remember how to configure it the way that was
our standard to do so.
It was harder to remember, and required more training. Once we learned it,
it was easy, but it had a longer learnign curve.

With StarOS, we are not driven to use all the options. It could be argued
that I am not being fair, because we don't use StarOS complex features, to
report how hard they are or aren;t to use.  STAROS also has made much
automatic. For example, WDS bridging is 100% automatic, and requires no
customization. Its senses whether to treat the CPE as a wifi station or a
WDS true bridge. And does it well.   Thats why even though WDS took more
processing power, we chose to use Bridging anyway. It was jsut easy, and we
could operate it just like a dumb bridge, like a Trango or Canopy.

But the primary reason we used StarOS, is they generally were the fist to
out out a key features that we were looking for. For example they did 5 Mhz
channels first. possibly first to support 533Mhz board. Because we always
ahve been a company to jump first on new useful features, we quickly jumped
on StarOS. Then we somewhat get locked into it at those regions we deployed
it.

Today, MT is offering so many improvements, its pretty hard to beat.

Ironically, the two big reasons that we use StarOS more, has nothing to do
with reasons other WISPs would choose. We wanted a standards based testing
tool that was able to be run from any device on our network. We chose Iperf.
StarOS was the first to add Iperf to its firmware. To this day, I do not
understand why MT will not. (its a small app). The second is that the way
that the Mikrotik GUI works, and a design conflict with a proprieatry tool
that we call device proxy, that we use to quickly locate and login to a
radio, it does not allow us to open up two MIkrotiks routers fro mthe same
PC at the same time. Meaning we can;t be logged into both the AP and CPE.
This is a big pain for us. We don't have that problem with StarOS, that
slows our troubleshooting.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband