I want to answer some of this from my perspective.
Why is StarOS not used as much and not as widely available? SUPPORT!!!

Valemont networks are hard people to deal with.  You have to be
immensely patient to get support and ignore some of what is stated by
the support staff about how you are using their equipment.  They have
their way and that is what they support.

StarOS is a solid environment, but you have to commit yourself to making
it work.  Very hard for a startup company to just pick it up and install
it.  You have a huge learning curve.  The other thing I saw was that
version changes are huge.  When going from a V2 OS setup to a V3,  There
were huge changes in the OS that took lots of testing and many
adjustments to our system.

IMHO if the StarOS environment wants to ever have the impact that it has
the ability to have, they need to train people and setup user groups
like MT has.  They need to quit having programmers with no people skills
answer support questions and they need to decide what their business
model and plan for the future is.  Without this in place why would a
vendor want to carry their inventory and have to answer questions about
something so poorly supported?

As Matt stated once installed and setup it is ROCK SOLID stuff and very
flexible (if you can figure out how.)

Steve Barnes
RCWiFi Wireless Internet Service