From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Randy Cosby
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:15 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] powering finicky mikrotiks on 24v solar

A couple issues:

Wasted energy - these converters can go as low as 75% efficient One more
point of failure Often the converters have their own low voltage
disconnect - I went 24v to give myself more battery headroom and time if
we have problems with the solar or wind Often the converters will stop
regulating when the amperage gets too high Maybe I'm just unlucky to
have discovered all these issues, but why should we even bother?

Dennis Burgess wrote:
> We run 12 volt converters to 18-20v with 24 volt battery systems.  no
> issues.  :)

> Dennis Burgess, CCNA, A+, Mikrotik Certified Trainer WISPA Board
> Member - wispa.org Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support
> Services WISPA Vendor Member
> Office: 314-735-0270 Website: http://www.linktechs.net LIVE On-Line
> Mikrotik Training Author of "Learn RouterOS"

Randy Cosby
Vice President
InfoWest, Inc

435-674-0165 x 2010