Mark,

You need to practice making a distinction between "politics" and "partisan politics". WISPA provides this "General" list as a courtesy to the WISP Community therefore WISPA makes the rules. The rule is no partisan political arguments on this list. Here's where it's important to make that distinction between "political" and "partisan" political.

Politics is about determining policy and codifying that policy into law. Many WISP-related items have a "political" side because we are bound by the rule of law as written by elected officials in Congress and interpreted and enforced by the FCC. WISPA addresses these political issues by having a Legislative Committee and an FCC Committee to lobby and advocate for policies that benefit our Members. These policies are not Democratic or Republican, not progressive or conservative. They are non-partisan.

You are not a WISPA Member. If you want to influence the formation of these policies then you are welcome to pay your Membership dues, join WISPA and join one or more of our Committees. As a guest here, you are obligated to respect and observe our policy of "no partisan politics". Partisan politics drives away dues-paying Members away by denying them their right to a constructive list. Partisan politics posts on WISPA lists are destructive to our industry and have no place here.

You obviously have a sharp mind and can contribute a lot to the betterment of this industry but you have to make your mind up to focus on constructive, non-partisan contributions that build our industry. If you need help finding some lists or websites where partisan politics are welcomed and discussed, please feel free to email me off-list or phone me.

Best Regards,
                       jack

MDK wrote:
I have limited sympathy with your comments for a simple reason...    Health
Care IS NOW a political topic.    So is broadband.  So is internet network
operations.   So is bandwidth control, so is hiring someone, so is firing
someone, so are the money management choices you make, so is retirement, so
are benefits, so are, well, dang near every aspect of our business lives.

I'd say none of us, at least the smaller guys, asked for any of this to be
brought upon us.    20 years ago, hardly a single thing mentioned above was
or had ANY political concerns, and now, they're all political, and rarely
are the political concerns going to bring about wise or prudent outcomes.

This has been pushed upon us, by interests not in our favor, and those
interests are not going away, nor are they moderating in the slightest.   In
fact, they are intent upon making MUCH more of our businesses and lives
political.

Yes, there are simple dollar value equations to some aspects of employer
based health care, but some of it's purely political now.    Any discussion
of bandwidth management and application prioritization necessitates a
weighing and ultimately making judgments about political things.   Even
arguments over what the politics actually means and how far it intends to
reach and how much it legally CAN reach.   Which ultimately brings us to the
point where we discuss the topic of health care the same way we discuss
customers who use the CD tray as a coffee cup holder, or expect us to do
miracles, on a budget of dander and fluff - and that discussion is by
necessity as much political as moral, logical, ethical.

So you want us to NOT express our opinions on the nature of the political
intrusions into our business.    Might as well say that we can't express
opinion about cranky customers, or which operating system is best on SBC's
or how to manage a network.   By necessity, these things are all relevant,
as are our opinions of them.  But so, too, the political aspects of our
business, must be at least some what legitimate to discuss, lest we as a
group by default follow a political course with no discussion or even
consideration to where that leads us.

It would be reasonable and proper to ask to keep such discussions relevant
and topically accurate, and to try to keep this from degenerating into a
political flame war.   More importantly, it is necessary that respect be
given to those who don't agree with your opinion, and that the "there is
only one default and acceptable opinion - that which is "politically
correct" and I see that happen in a lot of places these days.   And usually,
that opinion and default position is utterly indefensible, but is never
challenged, due to the powers that be preventing dissent.

I would prefer that our discussions were not about politics.   But they have
to be, since politics has invited itself into darn near every aspect of our
business.    I'd say there's a powerful lesson there... but that would be
ideological, huh.

Sigh.....

Neofast, Inc, Making internet easy
541-969-8200  509-386-4589