On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:20, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net> wrote:

> Who's gonna pay for that? Should I have to give up my profits this year, so
> that it can be re-invested into my network once again, so Hulu and NetFlix
> can continue to get rich?

If you want to keep residential customers in a competitive market, yeah,
you're gonna have to ease back on the profit-taking and build out your
network.

(I noted that you said you primarily serve business customers, so keep in
mind that "you" is the generic ISP, not you personally.)

> I am sick and tired of this attitude that "consumers are entitled" and
> "content providers are entitled". They are not entitled to a free ride.

Nobody has a free ride in this, though. Netflix/Hulu/whoever is paying TV
and movie companies for the right to redistribute content via the Internet,
and is paying Akamai/Limelight/whoever for bandwidth to do the actual
distribution. The end-user is paying Netflix for access to their collection
of movies, and is paying you for Internet connectivity in order to receive
bits from the Internet (in this case, bits from Netflix).

Sure... I'm perfectly fine with the bandwdith management method of control.
> Bandwdith limit video web sites to 64kbps, and for $9.95 I'll bump it up to
> 1mbps.

And I'd be fine with charging my customers one penny per bit (or buy a whole
byte for only six cents!) but the customers probably wouldn't like that plan
very much at all. If your users are okay with this, go right ahead.

Whats important to me is that laws are not made that empower moochers to
> have the right to unlimited mooching, at the expense of honorable
> businessmen access providers.

Who, in this scenario, is mooching?

David Smith
MVN.net