Hello, Nicholas Froome! On 10/10/2002 4:20 PM +0100, you wrote in
whole or part:
>Beverly
>

>Remind us what action it is that changes these internal IDs - are
>they changed by compressing the file? They wil certainly be lost
>when exporting data to another Filemaker file, won't they?

RecordID is unique to the database they are in at that point in time. Import into
another database will re-assign these to the database they are imported into.

Create a new record -> unique ID
Duplicate a record -> unique ID (does not duplicate)
Delete a record -> does NOT make its unique ID available later
Import a record -> unique ID (not _from_ anywhere, it's just created as the record is
imported)

Compressing does not change the recordID, AFAIK (as far as I know), but why should it?
The data/file is compressed, not reassigning records.

Exporting doesn't "lose" the recordID. If you have a calc field =
Status(CurrentRecordID), you can export that field. It won't be useful in another
database, but it might be useful to tie back to a unique record. That's what -recid
does in CDML it hones in on that unique record. You can find by the ID, you can edit
by the ID, you can delete by the ID.

I'm assuming that Tango gets the ID and that's what you see in COL 1.

Beverly