We use the record_ID to retrieve a record after an insert in the same run
through the TAF (think a scope of Local), but no where else.

For relationships we use Auto Entered serial numbers and carry them through
to the records in the related db. That way you can set up the same
relationships in FMP and see related records in Portals. Many of our
solutions have both a web and FMP user interface.

One reason the record_ID may change on compression is that I think FileMaker
re-serialises the record_ID on compression. If you've deleted records and
record_ID is contiguous compression will change them to be contiguous.

Wayne Irvine

                  Byte Services Pty Ltd
               http://www.byteserve.com.au/
                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Ph 02 9960 6099   Mob 0409 960 609   Fax 02 9960 6088