G'day

>> Especially when that same layout takes 5 minutes using tables and most
>> visitors can't tell the difference.

> You have a defined, repeatable process (even if it's only "fire up
> $STEAM_AGE_WEB_PAGE_EDITOR") for making tag-soup web pages.

What I was talking about is not tag-soup (although it depends on your
definition) like the template my client asked me to use.

I don't nest tables 6 deep or use elements like font and center or
attributes like bgcolor.  All I meant is to use a single table to define the
overall layout, marked up with CSS to set up backgrounds, borders, spacing
etc.  It requires NO kludges to get three columns all the same height and
with different backgrounds, whereas with three divs side by side we run into
all sorts of problems with browser interpretations.

Really, what is the practical (as opposed to philosophical) difference
between the two methods?

--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
www.betterwebdesign.com.au