If you make commercial sites you must live with the fact that it is mainly for IE.

Loudest "f. you" I can tell to IE is Firebar:
http://hpstudios.homeip.net/Firebar.html

Usually I don't have to trash the code with conditional comments.
* html {}
and
*> {}
css hacks are enough.

I try to make pages look better in better browsers. I use 8bit PNGs with alpha (see pngquant), which degrade in IE to 1bit alpha instead of gray background.

I give some extra hovers or occasional background-position: fixed for wow effect in non-IE.

Users must see that other browsers are better. So far they only see that some sites "don't work in Firefox".

-- regards, Kornel Lesiński