yes I agree.
Graphic design and Web (Graphic) design are different, similar concepts
but different.
what works on print does not always work on web

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/07/2007 2:48:57 pm >>>

Yes, but that's still graphic design of the appearance of Websites,
NOT
Website Design.

It's not designing the dynamic structure, usability and accessibility
(using Web standards) essential for good Website design which will
hold
across different platforms/browsers in which the user has control (not
the
graphic designer).

And no, the visual design should not be the first thing to consider in
meeting a client's requirements.  Too many bad Websites have been
produced
in which graphic designers who have pretended to be Website designers
and
placed the visual design first and insist that this is paramount.

On Thu, July 12, 2007 12:48 am, Breton Slivka wrote:

> Argghh no! the ignorance! Just stop going about thinking you know
what
> you're talking about when it comes to Graphic Design! Graphic Design
isn't
> "Make it Purdy", Graphic design isn't "Learn how to use photoshop".
It's
> exactly that perception that leads to awful website after awful
website.
> Certainly, aesthetic beauty is a *side effect* of the design process,
but
> *do not* make the mistake of thinking that's what graphic design is.
>
> Graphic design for print design has four aspects:
>
> Client Needs
>
> Audience Expectations
>
> Process (Identifying the problem space, going through many
iterations,
> selecting the best solutions, and iterative refinement. This involves
a A
> knowledge of the principles of good typography, and the principles of
good
> visual design of course, but it is not pure visual design)
>
> Craftsmanship
>
> The graphic design process on the web is no different.
>
> A Good graphic designer (one who is familiar with what graphic
design
> actually is, rather than the ignorant stereotype you just displayed)
> Should
> be involved in the process as EARLY and as OFTEN as possible. Not in
the
> last step as you suggest. *Most* of this Graphic Designer's time
should be
> spent with pencils and paper, and not in Photoshop or Illustrator. A
great
> deal of time evaluating the problem at hand, and iteratively
simplifying
> the
> solution. This is graphic design.  If this is not what you've found
in
> graphic designers in the past, then you have accidentally hired a
Stylist,
> or possibly an Illustrator, not a graphic designer.
>
> Please do not slander my profession in the future.
>
> And P.S. this is a little tongue in cheek, so don't take too much
offense.
> But seriously, you are wrong about graphic design.

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission
of Western Australia's Email security requirements for inbound
transmission.

********************************************************************************************************************************
The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission of
Western Australia's Email security policy requirements for outbound
transmission.

This email (facsimile) and any attachments may be confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (facsimile) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email (facsimile) in error please contact
the Insurance Commission.

Web: www.icwa.wa.gov.au
Phone: +61 08 9264 3333