Don¹t hold your breath for ogg support in all browsers.
I imagine microsoft will be more interested in pushing silverlight than
flash or ogg.
Audio and video is a key front in the next generation of browser wars, so it
won¹t be that simple.

As you note, Flash offers some useful stuff that¹s not yet core browser
functionality. I imagine it will continue to innovate and push browser
vendors.

On 17/10/2008 06:38, "Johan Douma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't see flash becoming a dominant technology in the future. It's definitly
> not going to replace javascript.
> It wouldn't actually surprise me if it is going to die off really slowly...
> Only to be used in really specific cases.
>
> Flash gets used a lot today because the flash video codec is good and because
> it's the easiest way to integrate some video into the browser without needed
> any plugins that might not be on everybody's computer. Flash is on 99.9% of
> the computers.
>
> Now that might change as well in the next 3 or 4 years as the video and audio
> tag are going to be more and more available to easily integrate video and
> audio files into a page.
> We would still need plugins anyway, but browser could at least integrate open
> sources plugins, like ogg... etc...
> I only use flash for multiple file uploads, and some small animations in the
> page itself.
>
> Ow and damn flash 10 has broken my file uploader, I'll have to work on that.
>

> Cheers,
> Johan Douma
>

> 2008/10/16 Breton Slivka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Read the story on that page carefully. What has happened is that flash
>> 10 has increased restrictions over what features within the flash
>> plugin can be invoked via javascript. This only applies to one
>> specific feature (file uploads), and effects virtually no other flash
>> features. It does not effect javascript's abilities in general, only
>> the abilities of javascript to use flash in certain ways. This point
>> will largely become moot once video/audio/3d/canvas becomes widespread
>> and built into browsers, and flash as a result becomes less relevant-
>> Particularly on low powered platforms like the iPhone, and Android
>> which do not have flash- or the wii which only has an older and
>> underpowered version of flash.
>>
>> So in my opinion, to the contrary- This news story is reporting on
>> decreased ability of the flash plugin to play well with javascript- It
>> will not make flash replace javascript- Except as a workaround in the
>> specific case of file uploads.

>>> http://ajaxian.com/archives/flash-10-and-the-bad-news-for-javascript-interac
>>> tion.

>> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All correspondence, attachments and agreements remain strictly subject to fully
executed contract. (c) GCap Media plc 2008. All rights remain reserved. This
e-mail (and any attachments) contains information which may be confidential,
subject to intellectual property protection and may be legally privileged and
protected from disclosure and unauthorised use. It is intended solely for the
use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is addressed and others
specifically authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient of
this e-mail or any parts of it please telephone 020 7054 8000 immediately upon
receipt. No other person is authorised to copy, adapt, forward, disclose,
distribute or retain this e-mail in any form without prior specific permission
in writing from an authorised representative of GCap Media plc. We will not
accept liability for any claims arising as a result of the use of the internet
to transmit information by or to GCap Media plc.

GCap Media plc. Registered address: 30 Leicester Square, London WC2H 7LA.
Registered in England & Wales with No. 923454