Hi all,

I believe making sites accessible is very important.

We are all used to ramps near stairs, lifts near escalators, lowered curbs at
intersections. We need to get used to "baking in" time into our projects for
accessible elements.

Such elements are hidden headings (to aid semantics), skip links (to aid
navigation), non-Javascript styles (to enable interaction with all content) and
also high-contrast style sheets for vision-impaired users.

> I don't believe that integrating accessibility into a project adds a
> significant cost to a project anyway.

I found that some of these elements take quite some time to integrate. Creating
high-contrast CSS can take up to a day (or more if you're new to it),
non-Javascript states usually more than an hour because you also have to edit
the script.

If you haven't considered accessibility in your company before you'll find that
a lot of time goes by convincing the backing parties (Product Managers, Project
Managers) to take it on board.

For an example of a high-contrast version may I suggest to check out the Sydney
Morning Herald's Travel section (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/). Click on "Low
vision" in the navigation bar (We're going to replace "low vision" with "high
contrast" since the former can be perceived as discriminatory). The styles you
see then have been developed together with a vision-impaired person.

They're not pretty, but usable.

The biggest challenge with this kind of CSS is to keep up with development and
remind oneself to update the code. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Cheers,

Jens
The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is
or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any
attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of
it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of
the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise
the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies.
Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information
contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not
secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents
of this message or attached files.