I think it is pretty good.

But one slight irony/anomaly - the 'low vision' link is in pretty
small font.  Took me a while to find it... <notetoself>time for new
glasses prescription</notetoself>

jim

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Jens-Uwe
Korff<jko...@fairfaxdigital.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I believe making sites accessible is very important.
>
> We are all used to ramps near stairs, lifts near escalators, lowered curbs at
> intersections. We need to get used to "baking in" time into our projects for
> accessible elements.
>
> Such elements are hidden headings (to aid semantics), skip links (to aid
> navigation), non-Javascript styles (to enable interaction with all content)
> and also high-contrast style sheets for vision-impaired users.
>
>> I don't believe that integrating accessibility into a project adds a
>> significant cost to a project anyway.
>
> I found that some of these elements take quite some time to integrate.
> Creating high-contrast CSS can take up to a day (or more if you're new to
> it), non-Javascript states usually more than an hour because you also have to
> edit the script.
>
> If you haven't considered accessibility in your company before you'll find
> that a lot of time goes by convincing the backing parties (Product Managers,
> Project Managers) to take it on board.
>
> For an example of a high-contrast version may I suggest to check out the
> Sydney Morning Herald's Travel section (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/). Click
> on "Low vision" in the navigation bar (We're going to replace "low vision"
> with "high contrast" since the former can be perceived as discriminatory).
> The styles you see then have been developed together with a vision-impaired
> person.
>
> They're not pretty, but usable.
>
> The biggest challenge with this kind of CSS is to keep up with development
> and remind oneself to update the code. It's not perfect, but it's a start.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jens
> The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
> is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
> dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
> any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
> part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written
> consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error
> please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete
> all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any
> information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet
> communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal
> responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.

Jim Croft ~ jim.cr...@gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~
http://www.google.com/profiles/jim.croft

... in pursuit of the meaning of leaf ...