Indeed 'twas RFI...replaced my powered USB hub with a new one and problem
disappeared.I did confirm the hub was disconnecting before doing this.
The hub in place now is a Cateck 7-port aluminum with shielded cable.

RRRMike W9MDB

      From: Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
 To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
 Sent: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:11 AM
 Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] wsjtx 1.7.0 r6346 Hangs....

On 06/01/2016 14:05, Black Michael wrote:
> I had bumped up power on JT65 20M to 20W and I heard the system sounds
> like a USB driver disconnected.  Never heard it reconnect though.
Hi Mike,

that seems to be an RFI issue; USB connections, especially hubs are
prone to RFI and will disconnect devices at the slightest level of
interference. This is probably due to noise on the USB 5V line as that
line is already used to detect USB device disconnection.

I've found that laptop mouse pads are particularly prone to this issue.