Hi Conrad,

On 7/17/2019 4:09 AM, Conrad PA5Y wrote:
Hello Joe I am quite interested to learn more about the GMSK waveform generation, where can I read more about it and the implementation in WSJT-X and the advantages.

A good place to start would be our document describing FT4 during its early development, especially pages 3 and 4:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT4_Protocol.pdf

Bill gave you pointers to the code that generates GMSK waveforms for FT4 and FT8.

Main advantages:

 - constant envelope waveform,
 - peak-to-average power ratio = 1.0
 - very clean spectrum

Plots of spectral measurements you may find interesting:

http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/rtty_ft8_ft4_spec.png
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FT8_FSK_GFSK.png

For comparison, the first plot shows spectra of a standard RTTY signal, FT8 as generated with WSJT-X 2.0, FT8 with WSJT-X 2.1, and FT4.

The second plot shows examples of FSK and GFSK versions of FT8, captured from on-the-air signals. The signals happen to have nearly identical strengths. The much cleaner spectrum of the new FT8 is easy to see on the waterfall as well as the graphed spectrum.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT