Hi Scott,

The way it used to work for validating character content, was to normalize the value before passing it on to the datatype validator. If validation is successfull we pass the normalized value to the doucment handler. In the DOM case, the document handler will be a DOM parser, and the parser will create the appropriate DOM tree which will store the normalized value. There's a fix after 2.6 that changed the way values are stored in the DOM tree. When validating a data content, the orignal value is normalized according to the whitespace facet, and passed on to the datatype validators. For the DOM case, If the datatype-normalization feature is enabled, we pass back the normalized value, if it's disabled, we pass back the original value. So, for validation we always use the normalized value, however for the value we store in the DOM tree, we either store the normalized or non-normalized value depending on the datatype-normalization feature.

Khaled

"Scott Cantor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

02/08/2005 11:45 AM

Please respond to
xerces-c-dev

<xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Request for feedback on some proposed xercesc changes   (including breaking source code compatibility)

> That's the fix that I'm talking about. The DOM will store the
> non schema normalized value (when validation is on and the
> dom normalization feature is off).

I understand that. But the Base64 datatype validator has a new flag in 2.6
that causes a strict validation against the DOM-stored value. That check now
fails in 2.6, therefore turning that flag off breaks schema validation.

The fix I'm talking about is that if Xerces wants to strictly validate
datatypes based on assuming normalization, it needs to store *both* values
and use the one that's appropriate for the operation.

See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-c-dev&m=109880001621887&w=2

-- Scott