Hi Gareth,
I would like to know what the proposed changes are for a xercesc 3.0
release.  The current release plan
(http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/releases_plan.html) is blank.  Do you have
a detailed list of what changes would be made for "3.0" (ie. what new
things will be added and just as importantly what deprecated items will be
removed)?

I am hesitant to rip out everything that is marked deprecated, as some
things haven't been marked deprecated for very long (ie. SAXParser) and
even though the deprecated DOM has been marked deprecated for a while it is
still being used.

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             Gareth Reakes
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             computing.com>                                             To
                                       xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
             02/04/2005 12:18                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Request for feedback on some
             Please respond to         proposed xercesc changes
               xerces-c-dev            (including breaking source code
                                       compatibility)

Hey,

             Whats your objection against 3.0?

Gareth

David Cargill wrote:

> Hi Alberto,
> Adding /Wp64 sounds fine.
>
> I am not sure about having the next release be 3.0.   I think the risk of
> someone having PSVIDefs in their code is a small risk (given that we have
> already removed the functionality).  I agree it would be nice to clean up
> number of items but I think 3.0 should have some significant
functionality
> or architectural change from the current code base.   However, this is
just
> my opinion, and I wonder what others think?  Anyone?
>
> BTW, what is the outstanding work for DOML3?  If methods have changed
> names, could we introduce the new names and mark the old ones as
> deprecated?
>
> Maybe we should also keep track (perhaps in a Jira bug) of changes we
> should make for the next version of xercesc (you mentioned adding const
> some signatures).  It would be good if we didn't lose track of these...
>
> Regards,
> David A. Cargill
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> (905) 413-2371, tie 969
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>              Alberto Massari

>              <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>              ect.com>
>                                        xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org

>              02/03/2005 06:29
cc
>              AM

Subject
>                                        Re: Request for feedback on some

>              Please respond to         proposed xercesc changes

>                xerces-c-dev            (including breaking source code

>                                        compatibility)

> Hi David,
>
> At 05.59 03/02/2005 -0500, David Cargill wrote:
>

>>Hi All,
>>In reviewing some recent appends and Jira bugs I would like to get some
>>feedback before making the following changes:
>>
>>(1) Change compiler options for Linux and MSVC++ to generate more warning
>>messages.  By regularly monitoring the regular builds of
>>      xercesc we can try and have warning free builds.  The proposed
>>options for Linux are:
>>     CFLAGS   += -W -Wall -Wno-parentheses -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Winline
>>-Wstrict-prototypes
>>  CXXFLAGS += -W -Wno-parentheses -Wcast-align -Wstrict-prototypes
>>      For MSVC++ use W4.
>

> These look fine; for MSVC++ 7.1 we should also turn on /Wp64, in order to
> catch instructions that on a 64-bit platform have unwanted side effect
> (long!=size_t)
>

>>(2) Change PSVIDefs to remove the following enums and remove the
>>corresponding methods that use them in SchemaElementDecl and
SchemaAttDef:
>>[...]
>

> What about planning to release Xerces-C++ 3.0 as the next release, as the
> current policy would require? This way we have the chance to clean up the
> enums, add some "const" keywords to some signatures, and complete the
work
> on DOML3 (that requires renaming some methods that have changed signature
> since the working draft we implemented).
>
> Alberto

Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com