> > The first of the two requirements is the killer, because it
> > essentially means that allocators cannot have instance data.
>
> I found an interesting discussion about that on comp.lang.c++:
> http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/C_CPP/comp.lang.cpp/2004-01/447index
.html
> where opinions go apart.

Yes, I've read similar threads, but there's also another twist that I
didn't mention before.  If you want your new "pluggable memory
management"-aware standard library containers to hold objects that also
are "pluggable memory management"-aware (meaning they require a
MemoryManager instance on construction) as values, you will need to be
able to default construct and copy-construct them with the MemoryManager
instance of the container class.  That's one thing the standard will never
provide, but is provided by Xalan-C's container classes through the use of
a special traits class.

Dave