From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 12, 2005 10:42 AM
To: xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: The Road to 3.0

Hi Gareth,

>     I should have read this mail before replying!  It was certainly
> the
> case in the past the some of the platforms that xerces supported did
> not have decent STL support. Has this now changed? Dean knew all the
> issues if I recall correctly and does sometimes lurk on the list. Are
> you out there Dean?

Well, some of the very oldest compilers would still be problematic, but
they are much rarer now.  I worked on an internal IBM build of Xalan-C on
about 14 different compiler/platform/word-size combinations and all we
needed were a few minor source code tweaks (some of which weren't related
to the collection classes) and some updates to the compiler options for
the new compilers.

That said, pulling in the template collection classes from the standard
library will make the code less portable.   Plus, it would break Xerces-C
pluggable memory management, which probably make it a non-starter.

Dave