On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 07:33:42PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
>David Dawes writes:
> >
> > But we do say that (in an auto-reply), as I've said at least twice already.
>
>I only saw your second answer after writing the message that lead to
>this.
>
> > I don't think the following sequence is unreasonable:
> >
> >   1. user posts to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >   2. user gets auto-reply about subscribing
> >   3. user chooses to subscribe (or not)
> >   4. user sees replies to their question (or not)
> >

>I don't deny that the idea to lurke more potential future supporters
>to this list has its merits.
>However do we have any idea how many people actually subscribe
>and see the answers and how many answers are just written for the
>trash? If the majority of our answers don't reach their desination
>we should definitely think about a different support concept.

I don't think it matters, because:

  1. The original poster may read the answer via one of the archives of
     this list.  How would we ever know?

  2. If the original poster chooses to not follow up their question, that
     is their choice.  Given that this is a volunteer group, not a paid
     support line, the onus must be on the user to follow up on their
     questions.

  3. Most problems are not unique.  If the answer doesn't benefit
     whoever first asked it, it may benefit someone else (either
     immediately or later via archives), and may contribute to the
     overall knowledge base of this group.  Therefore I don't agree
     with the assessment that such answers end up in the "trash".

  4. XFree86 doesn't formally provide support.  This list is available to
     aid to the community as a whole in being self-supporting.

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project