On Monday 14 July 2003 06:38 pm, Peter \ wrote:
> There is a wiki at http://xwin.org:9673/xwin/FrontPage
>
> Granted, it is not run by the XFree86 people but by xwin.org, a
> potentially competing group of people -- who have already showed that they
> are dissatisfied with the way XFree86 is run.
>
> Whether that's a bonus for you or the converse, I don't know :)
>
> > Referring them to a TWiki page named "BeforePostingYourProblem" could
> > lead
>
> Perhaps we should make such a page on the xwin wiki...

Yes, I guess part of the idea would be that URL of the wiki (or one particular
page), would be what gets put into the right place in X so that, when a
problem occurs, they are referred there.

> > can convince you that a TWiki is a good idea, someone volunteers a
> > hosting site for it and a domain name, I would then look for some help in
> > setting it up.
>
> The xwin wiki is currently zwiki which is not all that nice.  Here is a
> snippet from the xwin IRC channel at irc.freenode.org a couple of days
> ago:
>
> <keithp> firefly: yeah, wiki markup is a pain.  I'm expecting to switch
> wiki software in a week or so when I get another host for the xwin.org
> content; perhaps we should have a discussion about which wiki software to
> use instead of zwiki (which sucks pretty bad)

I suspect many people would take exception to TWiki's markup, although I've
used several and think TWiki's is reasonable.  Any markup has a learning
curve.  In TWiki (and most other wikis, IIRC) you can get passable results
without any markup -- i.e., just enter paragraphs separated by a blank line.

So, yes, I would vote for and prefer TWiki, but others will have a preference
for whatever wiki they know best.  (TWiki does have full version "control",
the ability to do some password protection, tables, sketches, etc.)

> As a matter of fact I did suggest twiki because it seemed better in many
> ways.  If you are volunteering to help set it up it would be wonderful :)

Volunteering is one thing (no problem) having the expertise to set it up is
another -- I'm willing to try to help.

> Contact addresses:
>
> #xwin on irc.freenode.org/irc.freenode.net
> http://xwin.org
> http://xwin.org:9673/xwin/frontpage
>
> -Peter
>
> PS: This doesn't change Egbert's other point, that the X server should not
> mention an email address but something like an URL, which contains the
> frequently asked questions, a searchable archive and only then, buried at
> the bottom, a mailing address.  (I embellished a bit on what Egbert wrote
> but I don't think I'm far off from his intention)

I agree 100% -- I'd suggest that URL be a specific page on the TWiki ;-)

Randy Kramer

(PS: I'll do some browsing around the xwin wiki, and may join the mailing
list, but I think the key (as stated somewhere above or in a related post)
is,  when the Xserver reports an error, direct the user to a URL (like for a
wiki) instead of the mailing list.)