On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, David Dawes wrote:

> Has anyone investigated the root cause of why there is no fixed font in
> the first place -- like why the font server isn't running?  Was it never
> started (a vendor-specific configuration problem), or did it crash (a
> robustness problem with xfs)?

   That's a good question.  I always assumed it was a configuration
problem since all the reports came from specific versions of
Red Hat.

    Regardless, I think there is a fundamental robustness
problem with the configuration used by these vendors.  There
is no reason to not have BOTH a font server and explicit
font paths in the XF86Config.  That way the X-server still
runs if there isn't a font server, but if the font server
is listed first, it will get used by default if it is
running.

                        Mark.