On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:04:30PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
>David Dawes writes:
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:21:43PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> >
> > >Whenever the server terminates with a FatalError() it tells the user
> > >to send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >This creates an enormous amount of traffic here even if it is a user
> > >problem has been answered several times already - like our all time
> > >favourite "cannot find font 'fixed'".
> >
> > My conclusion from this is that the XFree86 server should handle this
> > condition better.  I thought that using the 'builtin' font stuff might
> > have been a good way to do that, but unfortunately Juliusz has found
> > that it's going to require more time/work than expected.
> >

>This will only reduce the number of bug reports not eliminate it.
>Not all applications have a fallback heuristic all the way down to
>the 'fixed' font. If only this font is available many applications
>will refuse to run with an XRequest error on font or an even less
>conclusive error messages. This will then be posted here and it will
>be much harder to track down.

Has anyone investigated the root cause of why there is no fixed font in
the first place -- like why the font server isn't running?  Was it never
started (a vendor-specific configuration problem), or did it crash (a
robustness problem with xfs)?

David
--
David Dawes
Founder/committer/developer                     The XFree86 Project