The trailing period is quite legal and indicates that this is a fully
qualified domain name and no local domains should be appended when trying to
resolve the name.
If the trailing period is not present the DNS resolver will append local
domain names before resolving the name.
See the example below:

>xmailserver.org
Server:  dns1.telcomresearch.com
Address:  209.121.70.5

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 6, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, want recursion, recursion
avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        xmailserver.org.telcomresearch.com, type = A, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  telcomresearch.com
        ttl = 90000 (1 day 1 hour)
        primary name server = telcom-1.telcomresearch.com
        responsible mail addr = dnsadmin.telcomresearch.com
        serial  = 11150
        refresh = 900 (15 mins)
        retry   = 600 (10 mins)
        expire  = 172800 (2 days)
        default TTL = 90000 (1 day 1 hour)

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 7, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, auth. answer, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 2,  additional = 2

    QUESTIONS:
        xmailserver.org , type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  xmailserver.org