Hi Mel,

I see, it's basically about an extension of a common sense thing like someone 
not feeling their life's over if they break their diet one day.  Or, from a 
more 
Buddhist(? if I'm understanding this) perspective, not choosing to beat myself 
up because I feel annoyance towards someone who's been rude to me?  Accepting 
one's humanity and imperfections instead of choosing to feel like a failure?

And not making judgements about someone else who chooses to break their diet or 
be rude, or to be annoyed because someone else has been rude?

:-)

Beverley.





________________________________
From: Mel <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, 26 May, 2011 12:45:01
Subject: Re: [Zen] Newbie - hello & question

  
Dualistically-speaking, we as the humankind cannot help but make choices in 
everyday life. Sometimes we come across something like....

..'The ultimate path is without difficulty. Just avoid picking and choosing'..
- Seng-Ts'an

...which can be confusing when taken literally. I just bought a medium-sized 
bag 
of chocolates tonite, and I know I shouldn't have because of my high-sugar 
count...but I did. I made that choice, and it's not something you and other 
folks around here may consider wise on my part. But...I also made the choice at 
this moment to rein in the dualistic devil within me, and so there will be no 
more sweets tonite, bar perhaps an orange or 2

What I'm saying here is that most of functioning humans have that imgaginary 
line which they don't dare cross for fear of some huge consequence later on, 
and 
that's also a choice

In zen, books and visits at the temples teach that we don't get too 
discriminatory with our daily lives because such is dualistic. But..getting too 
obsessed and/or attached to this line of thinking may also result in unholy 
attachment for the 'holy', and therefore dualism..me and this, here and there, 
life and death, and so on

Just some of my thoughts

Buddha be praised
Mel

--- On Thu, 26/5/11, Beverley Huish <[email protected]> wrote:

Is making choices, per se, such a bad thing?  It can get silly, like all 
over-thinking, I know.
  

Reply via email to