Hi Beverley,
The best and possibly only way you can decide whether Zen suits you (in
addition to Buddhism) is to visit the Zen center nearest you, and sit
with the group for a few times.
Best, ED
--- In [email protected], Beverley Huish <beverley.huish@...>
wrote:
>
Hi Mel, You're right, this reply is complex and I'll have to read it
a few times and relax with it to understand it. I understand BigMind as
you describe it, I have felt that before. Thanks for replying so fully.
I did look at 'Zen Mind, Beginners Mind' on Amazon and read parts of it,
and it seemed very DEEP indeed. What I really don't understand is how
Buddhism is so elegant and straightforward, in principle, and yet kind
of snowed under with all sorts of deeply intellectual discussion, eg on
this board (a lot of which goes totally over my head, I admit). Every
time I think 'This is silly, just concentrate on mindfulness and being
open to experience, non-dualist, etc,' a whole bunch of words that I can
barely pronounce turn up... I'm glad that you seem to feel, as I do,
that the core of the thing is all you need. I'm not sure if Zen is right
for me. I feel Buddhism is - it's so calming - but Zen might not be.
That's why I joined this board, to check it out. :-) Beverley.