ED,
>Mike, but nothing on Jnana (mainly a term in Hinduism)? I believe so. Jnana is a branch of yoga using knowledge and the intellect to experience union with God. >I too arrived at this realization recently, thanks to the article on Jhanas by >Jay Michaelson, posted by you on the Zen Forum recently, (and which I never >gotten around to thanking you for.) No need to thank me. I'm happy it was useful (as it was for me). >I concluded the same about you a few weeks ago, when you reported experiences >that seemed to suggest that you may have experienced the first or the first >two jhana states. Make that the first 4.. (sniff sniff). >Jhana states are not too frequent in Zen practice, because shikantaza is >mainly a mindfulness-type meditation practice, and jhanas are usually the >outcome of concentration-type (shamatha) practices. That seems to be largely true, but people can unwittingly experience them during meditation if their concentration is strong enough. I remember Bill! reporting an experience that seems typical of the 1st jhana just before he experienced kensho. >When jhana states occur in Zen practice, they usually do so *after* the mayko >states and prior to the kensho states. See above. >I do not at all discount metta states, although their ultimate benefit to >self or other is not clear. And after all, will not metta states also be >transcended? Practicing metta opens our heart to compassion for ourselves and everyother sentient being. I think the benefit of that would be obvious. If you say that metta states will be transcended, then you'll be joining Bill! for another 500 rebirths as a fox! >Your revealing the recent experiences in your practice and the Jay Michaelson >article you posted have clarified certain matters for me, and for which I am >grateful. >At the present time, I am observing the nihilistic-like state I have >been moving into: All dharmas are empty. Life is empty and meaningless other >than for the meaning one gives it. I believe we have an innate need to search for a meaning. Whether or not we come back to the starting point with the realisation that there is no meaning doesn't matter. It's the journey that matters. It's just like all those archetypal stories of the hero who leaves home to discover the meaning of life, only to realise that the 'secret' has been right where he was all along. --ED Mike
